Friday, May 8, 2009

Lucy's next...

Drake's speech therapist called to tell me she thinks we should have Lucy evaluated for speech therapy, too. Since Lucy is always around when she's working with Drake, I guess it's fair to say she knows where Lucy is / should be with language development. I guess I realize Lucy doesn't have many words, but I haven't been concerned. Her receptive language is amazing. You can pretty much ask her to go get / pick up / bring any number of things to you. She can point to identify lights, eyes, noses, apples. And she babbles all day long, complete with inflection and pauses.

But it's true she doesn't say much. She mostly just points at things she wants and says something that sounds like "gaack". Her only really clear words are "hi" and "bye" and "eye". She doesn't repeat words when prompted. The other weird thing is she doesn't identify people. If you ask her where is mama or dada or auntie, she doesn't point or go to or look to the correct person.

I am all for therapy, but I feel so over-scheduled as is, I don't know where to fit yet another appointment in! Argh, thought we had avoided therapy for Lucy.

1 comment:

Ellen Seidman said...

I know how you feel about being so overscheduled. On the other hand, it is good that the therapist mentioned this now, as this is the ideal time to get her therapy. Maybe she just needs a little boost to get her going! It's great that her receptive language is so good.