Monday, November 17, 2008

Kinesio taping


Drake's PT has started taping his feet and toes with kinesio tape. He tends to clench his toes when he is working hard to do something or is bearing weight on his legs. She is using the tape to remind his toes to relax, so that the tightness in the toes doesn't travel up the legs.

Last week, she asked me if I'd be interested in learning how to tape his feet. Her thought was that if I did it, we could shave the time spent taping off our PT sessions. So, I watched and learned. Now, I am taping his feet every 3 days. The tape lasts about 3 days before it needs to be replaced.

I think I have seen small changes in the way he moves his toes since we started. Taping is a slow process, but our PT feels that if we continue for several months, it can have lasting effects.

I had asked her about TheraTogs, too, because I have read about them in other blogs. She said taping and TheraTogs do the same thing and that taping is better if the kid's skin can handle it. Taping is easier to put on and it stays put longer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your PT is correct in that tape and TheraTogs have the same purpose - TT were developed from the concept of taping. However, one is not 'better' than the other - unless You decide one method is better for YOUR CHILD.

I encourage you to gently press the PT to explore TheraTogs if you are interested.

TT cannot provide the particular taping shown in the photo. However, I would be more inclined to use braces to correct/influence toe-clenching.

Taping is a really good technique. Congrats on learning to do it and being willing to do it.
Barbara

Katy said...

I am wild about our thera-togs, but they don't go on the shins. Ours are for the trunk and thighs.